When joint pain causes you to stop doing the things you enjoy, you have choices. Give in to the pain and abandon your favorite sports, hobbies, or your evening walks with the dog. Or restore those activities with the help of qualified specialists with Susquehanna Health's Joint Replacement Program. With care and expertise that has won awards, we've performed more than 700 knee and hip surgeries each year, restoring patients like Karen to the active lifestyles they've enjoyed.
Joint pain begins when the cartilage that cushions the bones begins to wear down. As the layers are destroyed, bone begins rubbing on bone, causing pain, muscle weakness, and eventually effecting your mobility. Causes of that wear can range from:
- Rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis
- Loss of blood flow to the joint
- Degenerative joint disease
Before recommending surgery, doctors give an initial evaluation to determine the extent of the injury. If more conservative methods of treatment like physical therapy, medicines or special injections don't provide relief, the next step may be joint replacement.
Joint Replacement Treatments
- Anterior approach hip replacement (minimally invasive)
- Total hip replacement
- Total hip revision
- Bilateral total hip replacement
- Biarticularhip replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Gender-specific knee replacement
- Bilateral knee replacement
- Total knee revision
- Knee arthroscopy
- Total shoulder replacement
Williamsport Regional Medical Center is designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Blue Cross of Northeastern PA.